How to wire an electrical outlet / receptacle with wiring diagram Wiring an electrical outlet / receptacle is quite an easy job. If you are fixing more than one outlet, the wiring can be done in parallel or in series.
STEPS TO TAKE WHEN WIRING THE ELECTRICAL OUTLET/RECEPTACLE
How To Wire An Electrical Outlet :
- Switch off the mains: You should switch off electrical power from the mains to avoid electrocution. One can’t be too careful.
- Run the cable from the circuit breaker to the location of the electrical outlet: Your cable should be long enough to reach each socket. The cable must also be strong enough to support the kind of load you want it to carry.
- Strip/peel off the cable before it enters the socket box: You can push in the cable to the box before screwing or nailing the box to the wall. Ensure the cable you feed in is long enough to reach the terminals of the socket.
- Connect the wires to the receptacles: The neutral, earth and live wire should be connected to the box. The earth wire is usually green/yellow while the live is usually pink/red. The neutral could be white or black. But these color schematics are subject to change depending on your country. The socket receptacles are usually marked with signs to indicate the position that each wire should go.
- Multiple outlets: To wire multiple outlets, follow the circuit diagrams posted in this article.
Multiple Outlet In Serie Wiring Diagram :
For wiring in series, the terminal screws are the means for passing voltage from one receptacle to another. Any break or malfunction in one outlet will cause all the other outlets to fail.
Multiple Outlet In Parallel Wiring Diagram :
When wiring receptacles in parallel, the wires are spliced to a pigtail that is connected to every outlet. The voltage at each outlet is not dependent on the other outlets.
Electrical Outlet with light fixture wiring diagram :
NOTE : white wires marked with a black circle are HOT not Neutral
Electrical outlet with to way switch in switch box wire diagram:
Outlet controlled by switch in one box wire diagram :
Are You Interested in article :